Saturday, August 1, 2009

Jocelyn My Sunshine


I am so proud of my little girl, Jocelyn because she has come so far! Let me rewind a little bit and fill you in. Jocelyn was born the most perfect baby ever!!! No crying at all for the first 4 weeks of her life. She did get fussy once in awhile because she had ear infections. By the time she was 6 months old she had tubes put in her little ears. Ahhh, my perfect little baby was back after the tubes.
Jocelyn turned one and I thought that her tubes had fallen out because she was super fussy, grumpy and no fun. I was shocked when the doctor told me her tubes were fine and dandy. From that time on I knew that something was different with Jocelyn than my other kids. She threw giant tantrums, and was so frustrated with everything. When she turned two and wasn't talking at all, and started rocking on the couch I started to wonder about autism. It was like walking on egg shells not knowing what would make her have a giant melt down. She would just walk up and hit her sisters for no reason and laugh when she was told that it was wrong. She wouldn't look at people, or interact with other little kids......and the list went on.
I was referred to an early intervention place called DDI Vantage, and they came to our home and did some tests with Jocelyn. She qualified for their services, and recommended that I take her to the Center For Children With Special Health Care Needs.....whew long name!
Over a period of a month they tested her, and they diagnosed her with Aspergers Syndrome, Anxiety, Sensory Intergration and Speech Delay. I am still a little confused about the diagnosis. Mainly because she has progressed so quickly. She went from not speaking to saying full sentences in a 3 month period. She still has her melt downs but not as often. People that live around us have noticed her changing, and interacting with the children more. She is such a cute little girl, and is happier now that she can tell me what she wants. It really cuts down on the frustration for both of us! She really is my Little Sunshine!

7 comments:

The Williams Family said...

She is an amazing little girl! I miss you guys! You were always my comic relief! Enjoy the court while you are there! You will miss it when you are gone! There is nothing else like it. :(

Bryanna Johnson said...

Wow, a blog post! I think Jocelyn is adorable.

Sycamore Girl said...

I am serious when I say that Jocelynn is the most cute/beautiful little girl on the court! (right next to mine) I love that Tally and her play so well together. And since I have moved here, I can see great changes in her- definitely progression. You just keep being her good mommy and getting her the attention she needs and all will be just fine. Patience with our children is a huge feat, but really, our kids will do what they need to when they are good and ready! If you ever need a break my friend, please call me and I can chill with your wee ones while you go see a movie or something! (Or go to the temple with MATT!)

Brooke said...

I'm so glad things are coming together now! I bet it's a good relief. I think she is such a cute little girl. :)

ktucker said...

She is beautiful!! Sounds like you guys have been through so much! I am so happy that you/she has been gettin the help she needs!

Nathan and Esther said...

Jocelyn is so cute! what a sweet post...and I'm glad I found your blog!

The Buzz said...

You all are so nice :), THANK YOU!